Abu Dhabi World Pro 2019 - Competition Regulations
ELIGIBILITY TO PARTICIPATE
The Abu Dhabi World Professional Jiu-Jitsu Championship 2019 is open entry to all fighters from all nationalities.
The UAEJJF competition rules will be applied.
* No White Belts for World Pro 2019 (White Belt will fight on World Festival)
- A Technical Official from the UAEJJF will delegate responsibility to a suitable individual, who will be responsible for operating the category combining policy.
- This policy applies to all weight categories within all age divisions.
- Category combining may only be applied to categories where there are less than three entrants. If category combining cannot be achieved safely and according to the guidelines, then a pool of three elimination systems may be considered, or the best of three contests between the two players.
- Combining weights within the same age division - competitors should remain within their age group division if possible.
- When there is only one athlete on the bracket, points are not counted.
- If there's only one or two player, the division may be cancelled and they will be moved to the upper weight divisions.
• The registration fee is non-refundable.
Exemption: Athletes who get injured or are alone in their bracket are eligible to receive a full refund of the registration fee if they contact [email protected] and request to withdraw their name from the competition prior to the weigh in checking date.
• If you would like to make any changes you have till the last day of registration to request a change on your registration . Please contact [email protected] for any changes .
• The registration fee cannot be transferred to another member or championship
For Abu Dhabi World Professional Jiu-Jitsu Championships 2019, the draw will take place two days before the fights begin.
The draw will be carried out by computer with the use of the UAEJJF software using UAEJJF World Rank seeding.
For the Abu Dhabi World Professional Jiu-Jitsu Championships 2019 the top athletes among the entered athletes in each weight category will be placed per their UAEJJF World Rank position. For the rest of the draw separation by nations will be respected. However, seeding position will take priority over separation by nation in categories where there are enough numbers to apply.
With a limit number of fighters per country for each of the men’s and women’s competition, fighters from the same country will be placed on the same side of the brackets. The UAEJJF will utilize the official UAEJJF World Ranking as a method of brackets seeding.
All the fighters will be eligible for the Abu Dhabi World Professional Jiu-Jitsu Championship 2019, with a limit of 2 fighters from a given country to the eight or quarter or semi-finals (Adult & Master 1 - Brown and Black Belts divisions only). With a maximum of two eligible fighters (wild cards) from each country, applied for that countries does not already have two or more fighters among the top fighters ranked.
For other belts only the countries seeding will be applied and no country limits for main brackets.
If necessary, the UAEJJF Technical Director will agree to modify with technical commission approval.
Country Selection process for countries with over quota (2 Fighters* **):
The top brown & black belt fighters (1st ranked) will be directly eligible based on the UAEJJF World Ranking. Only one top country fighter will be selected according the UAEJJF World Rank.
*Priorities are given to the best ranked fighters to choose the division desired to register (weight category is not yet a determination).
** Fighters not ranked as a 1st at UAEJJF World Ranking in the respective division registered will be placed into the COUNTRY QUALIFIERS.
The second additional fighter will be qualified through the COUNTRY QUALIFIERS (Applied for ADULT & MASTER 1 - BROWN & BLACK BELT DIVISIONS only).
COUNTRY QUALIFIERS is a qualification method to select the 2nd fighter for the countries with over quota.
COUNTRY QUALIFIERS will be defined one day before of the 2nd round on Thursday (eight or quarter finals or semi finals), check the schedule TAB for more details.
The UAEJJF World Ranking is the mathematical method of ranking men and women on a calendar-year basis.
1. The UAEJJF World Ranking is the objective merit-based method used for determining qualification for entry and seeding in World Championships.
2. The UAEJJF World Ranking runs approximately 65 times per year (only GI championships). *NO GI championships will count points for NO GI Ranking.
3. Every fighter who has earned UAEJJF World Ranking points in an eligible UAEJJF championship during the entry ranking period is included in the UAEJJF World Ranking.
4. Fighters are not allowed to change their nationality or team academy during the season, due to the Country and Academy Ranking System.
The year-end UAEJJF Ranking is based on the total points for each fighter accrued in the following championships:
- Five (5) Abu Dhabi Grand Slams Tour
- Six (6) Continental Pro Championships
- Twenty five (25) National Pro Championships
- Twenty five (25) International Pro Championships
- Five (5) Regional Championship
UAEJJF World Ranking period is from May 1st 2018 to April 30th 2019.
Tiebreaker rules in case the division has two fighters with the same rank:
In case the same number of points:
- First Rule applied: Respect the age group.
- Second Rule applied: If there are no players at the age group enrolled in upper weight division.
- Third rules applied: If there are no players at the age group enrolled and not weight category.
- Fighters will be moved to an upper weight category, but always remaining the age division enrolled.
- Example: Player will be moved from Master 2 white belt -62 to Master 2 White belt -110, otherwise fighter can request a full refund or to move to another age group = ADULT instead of.
- Fighters will be moved to a lower age group.
- Example: From Master 2 white belt -85 to Master 1 white belt -85, if there are no player registered in Master 1, he will be automatically moved to Adult white belt -85
- The federation will merge weight categories, age group and belt divisions
- Brown Belt with Black Belt
- Blue Belt with Purple Belt (female Purple divisions can be merged with Brow/Black)
- White Belt will not be merged
- Example: Master 1 Brown Belt -110 with Master 1 Black Belt -110
- In case there are no fighters to merge the division such Female 90kilos or Male 110Kilos, the points will be credited.
- Also in case where there is a non showed up or disqualification after the brackets are generated.
The weigh-in will take place the day before the division starts or in the morning as indicated in the schedule.
- Weigh-in (without GI) is the first process whereby the fighters will do when they arrival at Championship:
A basic summary of the Accreditation process is below:
Athletes may only weigh up and fight if they are carrying an official ID (identity document) Passport or Emirates ID with a photograph, otherwise the athlete will be disqualified
Weighing may be performed from one day before, one hour before or during the tournament (check tab schedule which one is applicable):
- If you don’t come to the weigh in (to check weight) you will be automatically disqualified
- Reasonable time will be given to you, so being late will not be tolerated
- You only have 1 chance to pass the weigh-in
A maximum weight is applied according to the event divisions, a fighter should not exceed this weight on the weigh-in day (check divisions tab on this event).
White, blue and black gi are obligatory and its recommend competitors must have two types for finals. All GI must conform to the current UAEJJF regulations regarding size, materials, patches, etc.
MAIN DRAW - ALL BELTS / ADULT, MASTER 1 & 2
The type of competitions system to be applied in the competition will depend on the number of entries as follows:
1 entry – no contest (or category combining / moving up fighters).
2 entries – best of three contests (or category combining). If it is 2-0 then the third contest will not be fought.
3 entries – round robin, pool of three (or category combining).
4 entries – round robin, pool of four.
5 entries – round robin, pool of five.
6 entries – two pools of round robin, each with three players. Top two players from each pool progress to the semi-finals with the winner of Pool A fighting the runner-up from Pool B and the winner of Pool B fighting the runner-up from Pool A.
7 entries and above - Double elimination with eight finals repeache. The athletes defeated in the eighth finals will compete for bronze medal, single elimination system will be used to produce the third place.
PS: For Country Qualifiers Single elimination will be applied. After losing a match in the qualifier draw, a participant is out of the main brackets division and out of the competition.
MAIN DRAW - BRACKETS FORMAT
If less than 6 fighters Round Robin will be used.
Over 7 fighters and above Double elimination will be used.
Runners up on the eight finals and quarter and semi finals, fight for 3rd place repechage.
COUNTRY QUALIFIERS DRAW- BRACKETS FORMAT
Round Robin if less than 6 fighters (only first advance to the second round)
Single elimination if more than 7 fighters (only first advance to the second round)
Runners up are out of the competition
Only for Brown Belt and Black Belt (Adult and Master 1)
The Country Qualifier draw is a single elimination brackets that stops after a designated round. Fighters that have not been eliminated all advance to a specific spot in the main bracket where the champion is determined.
Competitors who qualify advance into another double elimination brackets know as the main draw, but for World Pro other draw formats can also be used as the main draw, round robin tournament brackets will be used if the divisions has less than 6 fighters from different countries that meet the first rules, a maximum of 2 fighters per country in the main brackets..
In the Brown Belt and Black Belt divisions (Adult and Master 1), higher ranked fighter do not have to fight in the qualifier draw and have a seeded spot in the main bracket.
The main draw that the qualifier draw feeds into has the top country seeded fighter that do not have to qualify matched-up against the lowest seeded qualifiers in early rounds.
The qualifier draw would be used in a ABU DHABI WORLD PROFESSIONAL JIU-JITSU CHAMPIONSHIP only and will not be used in other event in the UAEJJF season. Grand Slams, National Pro, International Pro will have no limits per country and will run as single elimination brackets.
Top fighters fights fewer matches. Top fights work hard to reach the points while other fighters has to qualify for their others spots. As the World Pro has 3 different days in length, having enough amount of rest time between the matches.
After losing a match in the qualifier draw, a participant is out of the main brackets division.
ROUND ROBIN RULES:
In the case of 6 competitors or less: a round robin system produces the gold and silver and one bronze for the 3rd place.
“Round Robin” Is defined as a system where each competitor will compete against each other.
To define the winners the following criteria are used:
1. First criteria: Number of wins
2. Second criteria (in case of an equal number of wins): The highest sum of submissions will decide
3. Third criteria (in case of an equal number of wins): The highest sum of winning score points will decide.
- Example: Red scored two points and one advantage and Blue scored two points and zero advantages: the advantage is defined as the winning score (1 point) for Red.
4. Fourth criteria (in case of equal number of wins and sum of winning score points): Direct comparison.
- If two contestants have equal number of wins and sum of score point, the contestant who won the contest between them is defined as better
5. Fifth criteria (in case of equal number of wins and no direct comparison possible because of “beating in circle”): The shortest accumulated time of all winning contests will decide
6. Sixth criteria (in case of equal time): Weight at the weigh-in. The competitor with the lower weight is defined as better.
7. Seventh criteria (in case of same weight): Decision matches. A knock-out system between the involved players will be used. A new draw has to be performed.